Manreet (Sonia) Padwal, PhD
Start-date: October 2017
Research Associate (Since October 2017)
2012-2017: PhD Student in the Medical Sciences
2015-2017: Clinical Study Coordinator
My doctoral research focused on investigating the complications of long-term peritoneal dialysis for patients with chronic kidney disease. I have elucidated the role of matrix metalloproteinases (MMP) and WNT signaling in the development of peritoneal angiogenesis and identified potential biomarkers associated with poor clinical outcomes. I have also been involved in clinical research investigating the genetic component behind progressive peritoneal fibrosis. On a large scale, my research aims to understand the cellular pathways involved in the pathogenesis of peritoneal membrane injury to improve current therapies for patients. Currently, I am investigating the mechanisms behind idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis as a research associate at the Firestone Institute for Respiratory Health and the McMaster Immunology Research Center.
Email Sonia at firstname.lastname@example.org
Peer reviewed manuscripts:
- Padwal M, Cheng G, Liu L, Boivin F, Gangji A, Brimble S, Bridgewater D, and Margetts PJ. WNT Signaling is Required for Peritoneal Membrane Angiogenesis. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. (2017). Submitted.
- Padwal M, Siddique, I, Wu, L, Tang K, Boivin, F, Liu, L, Robertson, J, Bridgewater, D, West-Mays, J, Gangji, A, Brimble, S, Margetts PJ. Matrix metalloproteinase 9 is associated with peritoneal membrane solute transport and induces angiogenesis through b-catenin signaling. Nephrol Dial Transplant 32(1), 50-61 (2017).
- Padwal M, Margetts PJ. Experimental systems to study the origin of the myofibroblast in peritoneal fibrosis. Kidney Res and Clin Pract 35(3), 133-141 (2016).
- Padwal M, Liu L, Margetts PJ. The Role of WNT Signaling in Peritoneal Membrane Injury. Journal American Society Nephrology, 27;2016. American Society Nephrology Conference. Chicago, IL, USA. November 2016.
- Padwal M, Margetts PJ. Non-canonical WNT signaling inhibits peritoneal fibrosis. Peritoneal Dialysis International. 35;2016 International Society of Peritoneal Dialysis. Melbourne, Australia, February 2016.
- Padwal M, Liu L, Gangji A, Brimble KS, Margetts PJ. (2016) Epigenetic modification of peritoneal mesothelial cells. Peritoneal Dialysis International. 35;2016. International Society of Peritoneal Dialysis Conference. February 2016, Melbourne Australia.
- Margetts P, Padwal M, Liu L, Cheng, G. The Wnt Signalling Pathway is active during Peritoneal Fibrosis. Journal American Society Nephrology. 25; 2014. American Society of Nephrology Conference. Philadelphia, PA, USA. 2014.
- Padwal M, Siddique I, Tang K, Liu, L, Margetts PJ. (2014). The Role of Matrix Matrix Metalloproteinase 9 (MMP9) mRNA is Associated with Peritoneal Membrane Transport. Peritoneal Dialysis International. 34; 2014. International Society of Peritoneal Dialysis Conference. Madrid, Spain. September 2014.
- Cheng G, Padwal M, Liu L, Gangji A, Brimble KS, Margetts PJ. The Wnt Signaling Pathway is activated during Peritoneal Fibrosis. Peritoneal Dialysis International. 34; 2014. International Society of Peritoneal Dialysis Conference. Madrid, Spain. September 2014.
- Padwal M, Liu L, Siddique I, Ghayur A, West-mays A, Gangji A, Brimble S, Margetts PJ, Matrix Metalloproteinases in Peritoneal Fibrosis. Canadian Society of Nephrology Conference. April, 2013. Montreal, QC, CA.