Ehab Ayaub, PhD
Start-date: May 2011
Research Associate (Since September 2017)
- 2011 (May-September): Research Assistant
- 2011/2012: (September-May) 4th year thesis student (Life Sciences)
- 2012-2017 (Sept): PhD Student in the Medical Sciences Graduate Program
My research aims to understand the role of endoplasmic reticulum stress (ER stress) and the unfolded protein response (UPR) in the initiation and progression of fibrotic disorders, primarily in human and animal models of pulmonary fibrosis. Recent evidence has suggested that this pathway is strongly involved in myofibroblast differentiation and extracellular matrix deposition, leading to progressive lung scarring and consequent failure. I am interested in investigating more in depth these mechanisms and attempt to modulate ER stress/UPR in fibrotic illnesses. A better understanding of these mechanisms will help us to understand the pathogenesis of fibrotic disorders, which will lead to the development of potential therapeutics.
E-mail Ehab at email@example.com
Peer reviewed manuscripts
- Wei J, Rahman S, Ayaub E, Dickhout JG, Ask K. Protein Misfolding in Chronic Lung Disease. Chest, 2013 Apr 1; 143(4):1098-105. PMID: 23546482
- Mukherjee S, Ayaub E, Murphy J, Lu C, Kolb M, Ask K, Janssen L. Nifedipine Disrupts Signaling in Fibroblasts and Attenuates Bleomycin-Induced Fibrosis. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol, 2015 Feb 9; Epub ahead of print. PMID: 25664495
- Kolb PS, Ayaub EA, Zhou W, Yum V, Dickhout JG, Ask K. The therapeutic effects of 4-phenylbutyric acid in maintaining proteostasis. Int J Biochem Cell Biol, 2015 Feb 7; Epub ahead of print. PMID:25660369
- Ayaub EA, Kolb PS, Mohammed-ali Z, Tat V, Murphy J, Bellaye PS, Shimbori C, Boivin FJ, Lai R, Lynn EG, Lhotak S, Bridgewater D, Kolb MRJ, Inman MD, Dickhout JG, Austin RC and Ask K. GRP78 and CHOP modulate macrophage apoptosis and the development of bleomycin-induced pulmonary fibrosis. Journal of Pathology. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27135434
- Ayaub EA, Dubey A, Imani J, Botelho F, Kolb MRJ, Richards CD, Ask K. Overexpression of OSM and IL-6 impacts the polarization of pro-fibrotic macrophages and the development of bleomycin-induced lung fibrosis. Sci. Rep. 2017, Oct 16/7:41598, PMID 2903860
- Murphy J, Kolb PS, Ayaub E, Mahmood S, Naiel S, Gravina M, Dickhout JG, Ask K. IRE1 Mediated XBP1 Splicing is Critical for Pulmonary Fibroblast Proliferation and Differentiation.
Am J Resp Crit Care Med 191; 2015. A4932.
- Ayaub E, Bhargava A, Murphy J, Kolb P, Lhotak S, Richards C, Kolb MRJ, Austin RC, Dickhout JG, Ask K. FKBP13 deficiency leads to increased pulmonary ER stress, inflammation and fibrosis after bleomycin administration. Am J Resp Crit Care Med, 189:A6336, 2014
- Murphy JH, Kolb PS, Mahmood SH, Ayaub E, Carlisle RE, Mukherjee S, Gravina M, Kolb MRJ, Janssen L, Dickhout JG, Ask K. The activation of IRE1a is critical for pulmonary fibroblast proliferation and differentiation. International Colloquium on Lung And Airway Fibrosis, September 20-23. 2014, QC, Canada.
- Ayaub E, Tat V, Mohammed-ali Z, Kolb PS, Chimbori C, Lhotak S, Lynn E, Hambly N, Naqvi A, Cutz JC, Kolb MRJ, Austin RC, Inman MD, Dickhout JG, Ask K. UPR and CHOP-mediated macrophage apoptosis protects against bleomycin-induced pulmonary fibrosis. International Colloquium on Lung And Airway Fibrosis, September 20-23. 2014, QC, Canada.
- Wei J, Ayaub E, Bhargava A, Feng Q, Rahman S, Smith JA, Stampfli MR, Ask K: Assessment Of Housekeeping Genes In Inflammatory Mouse Models Of Lung Disease, Am J Resp Crit Care Med, 185:A4163, 2012.
- Wei J, Ayaub E, Morissette MC, Bhargava A, Lynch MH, Smith JA, Inman MD, Austin RC, Stampfli MR, Ask K. FKBP13 deficiency leads to an exacerbated inflammatory response and increased lung compliance following cigarette smoke exposure. Am J Resp Crit Care Med, 187:A2790, 2013.
- Ayaub E, Wei J, Lynch MH, Bhargava A, Yum V, Smith JA, Inman MD, Kolb MRJ, Dickhout JG, Ask K. 4-Phenylbutyrate prevents UPR activation and myofibroblast differentiation in experimental bleomycin-induced lung fibrosis. Am J Resp Crit Care Med, 187:A5657, 2013.
- Ayaub E, Wong N, Wei J, Bhargava A, Smith JA, Lynn E, Austin RC, Inman MD, Dickhout JG, Ask K. Grp78 heterozygosity protects against bleomycin-induced lung fibrosis and inflammation. Am J Resp Crit Care Med, 187:A6125, 2013.
- Murphy J, Kolb PS, Ayaub E, Mahmood S, Naiel S, Gravina M, Dickhout JG, Ask K. IRE1 Mediated XBP1 Splicing is Critical for Pulmonary Fibroblast Proliferation and Differentiation. Am J Resp Crit Care Med 191; 2015. A4932.
- Izakelian L, Ayaub E, Dubey A, Wong S, Botelho F, Ask K, Richards CD. Requirement of IL-6 for Maximal M2 Macrophage Accumulation, and Growth of Ectopically Delivered B16 Melanoma, in Mouse Lungs Upon Oncostatin M Overexpression. Am J Resp Crit Care Med 192; 2016. A6593
- Ayaub E, Tandon K, Parthasarathy P, Murphy J, Kolb PS, Lhotak S, Kolb MRJ, Inman MD, Austin RC, Richards CD, Ask K. IL-6 Mediated Hyperpolarization of Profibrotic Macrophages Is Dependent on Spliced XBP1. Am J Resp Crit Care Med 192; 2016. A6602
- CIHR Doctoral Award — Frederick Banting and Charles Best Canada Graduate Scholarships. (May 2015 - May 2018)
- The Diane and Colin Wood Bursary in Respiratory Health (2015)
- Ontario Graduate Scholarship. (May 2013 - June 2014)